CATHEDRALS & CHURCHES
Chernivtsi religious structures personify the
best historical traditions of architecture. The oldest one is the wooden St.
Mykolay Church typical for Bukovyna of XVI-XVIII centuries. In 1787
Roman-Catholic Cathedral of St. Cross Erection was built. Another
distinguishing construction is the Holy Spirit Cathedral that was sanctified in
1864 by Evhen Hakman, a bishop of Bukovyna being one of the most outstanding
personalities of Bukovyna’s spiritual life in the XIX century. A wonderful
example of neo-Gothic is Jesuit Jesus Heart Cathedral. Another prominent city architecture
monument was Temple Synagogue.
DESCENT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT CATHEDRAL
Architect: Ferdinand Roell
Location: Holovna st./Soborna sq.
ST. MYKOLAY ("NICOLAS") CHURCH
Built in 1939
Location: Ruska st. 35
ARMENIAN CATHOLIC CHURCH
Architect: Josef Hlavka
Location: Virmenska st.
CATHOLIC CATHEDRAL OF ST.CROSS ERECTION
Location: Holovna st.
SYNAGOGUE IN L.KOBYLYTSYA ST.
Built in 1923
Location: L.Kobylytsya st. 53
Built in 1843-1864
Location: Corner of Holovna and Zankovetska st.
GREEK CATHOLIC CHURCH
Built in 1825-1830
Location: Ruska st.
ASSUMPTION OF THE VIRGIN CHURCH (WOODEN)
end of Zelena st. in Kalichanka (former outskirt of the city).
WOODEN ST.MYKOLAY ("NICOLAS") CHURCH
Built in 1607
Location: Sahaydachnoho st. 87