It won’t be
unusual if a Chernivtsi guide starts introducing the city from its old part,
the crossing of Holovna and P.Sahaydachniy streets. It was once Fountain square
named so for a natural spring which was flowing out here.
Austrian administration erected its first building, the so-called General’s House, in 1780 at the corner
of today’s Holovna, Shkilna and Sholem Aleichem streets.
neighbours on the austere Roman-Catholic Cathedral of Saint Cross Erection (1787).
The high spire of this catholic temple was used as a fire watch point for a
formation was finished in the early XX century by an original building at the
corner of Holovna and Sholem Aleichem decorated by the fountain in the form of
lion head and clam bowl. This "ship” house is finalized with a tower and survey
veranda on the cone-shaped mansard floor covered with coloured roof. The
sharp-cornered building as if cuts the surrounding space thus giving an edge to
its exact name.
Fountain square in the mid XIX was Moldavia
hotel being then the center of the city art events. It had a concert hall in
which Franz Liszt gave a concert on 24th May 1847. Today Chernivtsi
Puppet theater is located here.
Art Nouveau style in Holovna st. is well represented by numerous apartment
buildings (so-called "profitable” houses) and single-family villas, as well as
hotels built in 1890-1910.
we follow on the street we’ll see House No.42, an apartment house built in
early XX century with wooden balconies, mouldings
and verticals of glazed bricks. The ground floor of the building is occupied by
Passage department store which gave
its name to the whole building. The house neighbours on Kyiv (former Palace)
hotel and houses No. 48 and 50, another secession architectural ensemble.
GALLERY (click photos to enlarge)
St.Praxedia church in the beginning of the street
The "Ship" house
Cathedral of St.Cross erection
Passing through Centralna sq.
The slope leading to Centralna sq.
The same slope
Approaching the slope
City Gymnasium No.2
Kyiv hotel (former Palace Hotel)
A turret on the building left of the hotel
Monument to Romanian soldiers who died during the World War I
The street as seen from the garden in Soborna sq.
Passing through Soborna sq. - the Holy Spirit Cathedral
Public school No.4
City military office (former military quarters)
Entrance to Shevchenko park