St. Mykolay ("Nicolas”) Church
Built in 1939
Location: Ruska st. 35
The architects of this religious structure reconstructed the national Romanian Neo-Romanesc style. The prototype of the original solution with twisted side domes of the church was the permanent architecture in Curtea de Argeş, the place where Romanian kings found their eternal rest.
A contest for iconostasis was announced which was won by the Bucharest painter Rafael Molda (iconographer) and Grigoreu Dumitresku-Lovendal – a sculptor who made the woodwork.
The thirteen stained-glass windows were made by the painter Kirowicz, another citizen of Bucharest, and their frameworks were developed by Wilhelm Swidersky, a citizen of Chernivtsi. The fence was made by Aleksandr Mankovsky based on the design by Virgil Ionescu.
Two bells weighting 948 and 542 kilograms were brought from Transylvania.
Due to the twisted dome shape the church is also called "Drunk Church”.
GALLERY (click photos to enlarge)
Approaching from the side of Centralna sq.
The "Drunk" domes
The right-side view
The rear view