Wooden St.Mykolay ("Nicolas”) Church
Built in 1607
Location: Sahaydachnoho st. 87
One of the earliest wooden churches on the oblast territory personifying key features of the Bukovynian architecture and construction school.
According to some tales at the times of Turkish rule it was the bishop church located in the city center and was relocated to its today’s place after some time.
Unfortunately, the church that we can see now is not quite the same that is shown in old photos. In 1992 the fire (which was probably intentionally burnt) destroyed two thirds of it. In 1996 the monument was recovered. Now it’s a functioning church of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Kyiv Patriarchate.
GALLERY (click photos to enlarge)
The main entrance onto the church territory
So it looked a hundred years ago