CHERNIVTSI OBLAST MUSEUM OF ARTS
Year established: 1988
Location: Centralna sq. 10
Opening hours: 9:00 - 16:00
The first exhibit of the museum was arranged at the Descent of the Holy Spirit Cathedral which didn’t function at that time. In 1991 the museum changed its address. Now it occupies the second and the third floors of former Bukowina Sparkasse built in 1900-1901.
The core of the museum collection is formed of the items collected by Chernivtsi Museum of Local Lore. It was supplemented during scientific expeditions and for the account of charitable grants from some artists and philanthropists. The funds include more than 10 thousand items the greater part of which has been included in the permanent exhibit.
The basis of the museum funds is the art of Bukovyna from XVII – XX centuries starting from home icons made by folk craftsmen and finishing with monumental works of professional artists. Here is the collection Bukovynian carpets, embroideries, pysankas, works of cutters, jewelers and many other things worth notice. The exhibit of visual art displays the development of painting in Bukovyna, its directions and schools. Still, folk traditions prevailing in decorative arts of the land also dominated in the museum.
GALLERY (click photos to enlarge)
The left statue
The right statue
The left eagle
The right eagle
A bookstore and the central Tourist Information Office in the building
The text says: "Chernivtsi located on half-way between Kyiv and Bucharest, Krakow and Odessa was a secret capital of Europe where pavements were cleaned with bunches of roses and the number of bookstores exceeded the number of bakeries".
Tourist info plaque