SYNAGOGUE IN L.KOBYLYTSI ST.
Built in 1923
Location: L.Kobylytsya st. 53
Although Chernivtsi had at least 3 synagogues through its history only one of them remains functioning at the time. Beit Tfila Binyamin ("Binyamin’s House of Prayer”) was built 1923 in Razboyeni st. (now L.Kobylytsya st.). The full name is "The House of Prayer of Benyamin, his wife Pesya Beila and their son d-r Mordekhay”.
The land plot for the future synagogue was granted by the Shapiro spouses. Binyamin Shapiro was also the treasure of the construction committee.
synagogue has been retained relatively well. Its special value are inner
paintings made by an unknown Chernivtsi painter. After the World War II the
synagogue inner scenes were refreshed.
GALLERY (click photos to enlarge)
Doors with the symbols of the Jewish creed
The David star on the spire of the main dome
The star on the left-side small dome
The central dome
Tourist info plaque
The Temple synagogue a hundred years ago (now Chernivtsi movie theater)