OLD BELIEVER ASSUMPTION CATHEDRAL IN BILA KRYNYTSYA
Built in 1900 – 1908
Location: Bila Krynytsya village, Hlyboka district
The cathedral is a true masterpiece of religious architectonics of whole Bukovyna. It was built as the main church of the local nunnery for the account of Hlib and Olha Ovsyannikovs, a rich family of Moscow Old Believers. The design was developed by the Moscow architect A.Kuznetsov (although some sources mention Austrian A.Klick). Its construction cost half a million Russian gold roubles, an enormous amount of money for that time. The construction materials, granite details and decorations of the cathedral were shipped directly from Moscow and its foundation includes event two wagons of Russian ground.
The layout is cross-shaped with five baths looking like big bulbs. Domes are covered with copper leaves and crowned with gold-plated crosses. Its decoration has elements of eclectic architecture – cutstones, ceramic glaze of blue, orange and pink colours, it includes such elements of the old Russian church architecture as corbel arches, beads and curbs.
The cathedral impresses with its glory and richness and the splendour of its external décor can be compared only to the Residence of Bukovynian Metropolitans in Chernivtsi or Saint Basil’s Cathedral in Moscow.
The inner scenery of the Cathedral is presented with one large and two small iconostases made of oak by best Vladimir carvers and painters from Palekh workshops.
Another impressive feature of the cathedral is its bell tower which doesn’t have any analogues in whole Ukraine. It’s four-levelled and is higher than the Cathedral, its top is covered with multicoloured tiles. The bell tower ensures a wonderful view onto Assumption Cathedral, Bila Krynytsya and the local area.
The rooms of the cathedral hosted two world assemblies of Russian Old Believer Church in 1996 and 2006.
A side dome
The bell tower
The bell tower - the front view
Another general view