Armenian Catholic Church of St. Apostles Peter and Paul
Built in 1869-1875
Architect: Josef Hlavka
Location: Virmenska st.
In the middle of the XIX century the Armenian community had almost 1000 people. As the parish was growing (in 1860-65 it had about 600 members) the need for their own church was growing too. In 1865 the first stone was put in the church foundation. Due to short financing the construction works took six years. As the project was too expensive the design experienced some changes. The middle tower became lower, the two side towers were left without the intended open gallery. The roof had to be covered with tiles similar to the Metropolitan Residence.
The church was consecrated on 9th October 1875.
The church layout makes Latin cross with one main nave and two side naves. The two high towers are a true adornment of the structure. A time ago statues of Apostles Peter and Paul were standing in front of the sanctuary but during the atheist times only their pedestals remained. The design combines Roman style, Gothic and traditional Armenian architecture. Also it has wonderful acoustics, due to which it has always served as a concert hall. Indoor scenes are quite exquisite.
After decades of atheism and endless renovation the church finally gained the appearance it deserves. The organ hall is full of music again.
Next to the church the "Angel of Mercy” sculpture by Vologymyr Hamal was installed.
Although the church isn’t functioning now it serves as a concert hall, in particular for organ music.
GALLERY (click photos to enlarge)
A left-side view
The front side
The plaque telling the story of creating the church in Armenian and Latin languages
Tourist info plaque
A tile embedded into the church fence