BUKOVYNA COGNITA - ARCHITECTURE MASTERPIECES
BUKOVYNA COGNITA

ARCHITECTURE MASTERPIECES



Chernivtsi is one of the few Ukrainian cities deserving the title of a true architecture pearl. 602 buildings from the old part of the city are in the state list of architecture monuments 25 of which are nationally important. Today Chernivtsi old town is an integral architectural ensemble of the mid XIX – early XX century. During that time European architecture was heavily influenced by the Art Nouveau style known as Vienna secession in Austro-Hungary. These are prominent secession monuments that make Chernivtsi architecture famous and these are them to define city uniqueness. It’s hard to imagine the historical city center without the Drama Theater, Chamber of Commerce and Crafts, Bukowina Sparkasse building, Bristol hotel, Central Railway Station and lots of other stylish secession buildings designed by Otto Wagner, an outstanding Austrian architect, and his successors. Still, the city brand is generally recognized as the Residence of Bukovynian and Dalmatian Metropolitans, another architecture masterpiece designed by Josef Hlavka, a famous Czech architect, with eclecticism features in which Bysantium and Roman styles prevail.

 


RESIDENCE OF BUKOVYNIAN METROPOLITANS

Built in 1864-1882
Architect: Josef Hlavka
Location: Kotsyubynskoho st. 1

Read more...



CHERNIVTSI CITY HALL

Built in 1843-1847
Architect: A.Mikulich in partnership with the local engineer Marin and arch. Franz Rador.
Location: Centralna sq.

Read more...



CHERNIVTSI DRAMA THEATER

Built in 1904-1905
Architects: Hermann Helmer and Ferdinand Fellner
Location: Teatralna ("Theater") square

Read more...



CITY CULTURE PALACE (FORMER JEWISH NATIONAL HOUSE)

Built in 1905 – 1908
Architect: T.Levandovsky
Location: Theater square

Read more...



MEDICAL UNIVERSITY MAIN BUILDING (FORMER CHAMBER OF COMMERCE AND CRAFTS)

Built in 1910-1912
Architect: F.Gottesmann
Location: Theater Sq.

Read more...



CHERNIVTSI MUSEUM OF ARTS

Built in 1900-1901
Architect: Hubert Gessner
Location: Centralna sq.

Read more... 



BUILDING OF THE OBLAST STATE ADMINISTRATION (FORMER PALACE OF JUSTICE)

Built in 1904-1906
Architect: Josef Hlavka
Location: Hrushevskiy st. 1

Read more...



BUILDING OF THE NATIONAL BANK OF UKRAINE IN CHERNIVTSI

Built in 1878-1898
Architect: v.Klausewitz
Location: Centralna sq.3, Kobylyanska st. 1

Read more...



CHERNIVTSI PHILHARMONIC HALL

Built in 1876-1878
Architect: V.Grekul
Location: Philharmonic sq.

Read more...



THE "SHIP" HOUSE

Location: Holovna st.

Read more...



GERMAN NATIONAL HOUSE

Built in 1908-1910
Architect: G.Frich in partnership with eng. E.Müller
Location: Kobylyanska st.

Read more...

 


POLISH NATIONAL HOUSE

Built at the end XIX century; renovated as the Polish National House in 1902-1905.
Location: Kobylyanska st.

Read more...



BELLE VUE HOTEL

Location: Centralna sq.

Read more...



GOLDEN LION HOTEL

Location: Centralna sq.

Read more...



BRISTOL HOTEL

Location: Philharmonic sq.

Read more...



THE "TWIN" HOUSES

Location: I.Franko st. 1, 3

Read more...