has its Street. In Paris it’s Champs
Elysees, in Odessa it’s Deribasovskaya, in Chernivtsi this rank belongs to Olha
Kobylyanska (formerly Panska – "Herrengasse”) street.
like a beam from Centralna square by jolly musicians near the Wedding Palace to
make a small stop next to the Holy Spirit Cathedral and then continue rushing
on to German National House. Like most other streets personifying their cities
Kobylyanska st. is not too long (600 m) and pedestrianized. Every tourist will
find it wonderful for walking, having a tasty lunch, buying a gift or just a city
can meet a city resident remembering cleaners washing Herrengasse several times a day and as vendors bringing their goods
from suburbs here had to clean their boots before stepping on this pavement. And
any dirty cart arriving to the city from neighbouring villages wasn’t allowed
to this Chernivtsi VIP area.
On the left
side of the street beginning you’ll notice a building with graceful tower.
Sometimes it was Habsburg coffee
house and now you’ll find a branch of the National Bank of Ukraine here.
of this street have are proud of high architectural value. Some of them are
house No. 36, the Polish National House with Renaissance epytympanum (renovated
in 1905, architect F.Skovron) and facing it house No.53, the German National
House built in 1908 by Gustav Frich. Medieval motifs are reconsidered in the
spirit of neoromanticism and Jugendstil here with the use of traditional folk
architecture elements. Interior murals were made by Alfred Offner. Today these
houses also allocated societies of Polish and Austrian-German culture heritage.
forms also dominate in the house No.29 erected in 1878, now the Wedding
GALLERY (click photos to enlarge)
Kobylyanska st. from Centralna sq. The National Bank building is on the left
Beginning of the street
Old-styled lanterns make the street especially charming
The Local Economic Court and Olha Kobylyanska Movie Palace
The middle of the street
Centralna sq. as seen from Kobylyanska st.
An antique-styled bas-relief picture above the Art Saloon
Memorial plaque to Moses Altman, a famous Jewish writer
The building on the corner of Gogol st.
The Local Lore Museum is on the left
An ornamental detail
Chernivtsi Local Lore Museum
The middle of Kobylyanska st., Shevchenko st. seen in the end
The Wedding Ceremony Hall
The Holy Spirit Cathedral as seen from Kobylyanska st.
The last third part of the street
Vienna Cafe in the winter
Polish National House
German National House
Kobylyanska st. from Shevchenko st.