CHERNIVTSI CITY HALL
Built in 1843-1847
Architect: A.Mikulich in partnership with the local engineer Marin and arch. Franz Rador.
Location: Centralna sq.
The city hall is one of the most distinguished buildings in Chernivtsi crowning the main square of the city.
In 1781-1782 the first city mayor was elected and in 1786 the first municipal government election took place. All governmental officials had to take the oath to the city and the state prior to taking their office. On 29th May 1786 Karl von Erzenberg, the head on Bukovyna Military Administration published an order to find and rent rooms for the city administration. The rent cost 40 florins a month.
In 1830 the decision to build a separate house for the local government was adopted. The place for the new city hall was selected in the Market square. As that area was very prestigious and, therefore, occupied by numerous private businesses, it was extremely hard to convince their owners to sell the developed land plots. The future construction plot cost the city 8000 florins – an enormous amount of money at the time.
On 19th April 1843 the first stone was put in the building foundation. The basis was made of natural stone brought from selected areas on the Prut and Dnister sides. The foundation has a special niche with a message to descendants written on parchment. Four years thereafter its opening ceremony became a great holiday to which guests from whole Europe were invited.
In 1880 the building was given No.1 which has remained until now.
GALLERY (click photos to enlarge)
So it looked a hundred years ago
The City Hall tower from the Theater square
From the Theater square - a closer view
The flag pole
The city coat of arms on the City Hall facade
IN JOINT EFFORTS - the city slogan