BUKOVYNA COGNITA - CHERNIVTSI MUSEUM OF ARTS
BUKOVYNA COGNITA

CHERNIVTSI MUSEUM OF ARTS

(FORMER HEAD OFFICE OF BUKOWINER SPARKASSE)

Chernivtsi (Czernowitz) Museum of Arts (former Bukowiner Sparkasse); Черновицкий художественный музей (быв. Буковинская сберегательная касса); Чернівецький художній музей (кол. Буковинська ощадна каса)


Built in 1900-1901

Architect: Hubert Gessner

Location: Centralna sq.

 

This building erected in 1900-1901 was one of the best architecture works in the whole Austro-Hungarian Empire. Initially built as the head office of Bukowiner Sparkasse the building had the style of Vienna secession. Bukowiner Sparkasse was designed by Hubert Gessner, a pupil of Otto Wagner, the father of secession. Special beauty is given to the building by its mosaic picture showing twelve antique gods symbolizing twelve crowned provinces of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The panel center shows a girl in purple cloths symbolizing Austria and the guy with the horse symbolizes Bukovyna.


GALLERY (click photos to enlarge)

Chernivtsi (Czernowitz) Museum of Arts (former Bukowiner Sparkasse); Черновицкий художественный музей (быв. Буковинская сберегательная касса); Чернівецький художній музей (кол. Буковинська ощадна каса)
The mosaic


Chernivtsi (Czernowitz) Museum of Arts (former Bukowiner Sparkasse); Черновицкий художественный музей (быв. Буковинская сберегательная касса); Чернівецький художній музей (кол. Буковинська ощадна каса)
The dome


Chernivtsi (Czernowitz) Museum of Arts (former Bukowiner Sparkasse); Черновицкий художественный музей (быв. Буковинская сберегательная касса); Чернівецький художній музей (кол. Буковинська ощадна каса)
The spire


Chernivtsi (Czernowitz) Museum of Arts (former Bukowiner Sparkasse); Черновицкий художественный музей (быв. Буковинская сберегательная касса); Чернівецький художній музей (кол. Буковинська ощадна каса)
The left statue


Chernivtsi (Czernowitz) Museum of Arts (former Bukowiner Sparkasse); Черновицкий художественный музей (быв. Буковинская сберегательная касса); Чернівецький художній музей (кол. Буковинська ощадна каса)
The right statue


Chernivtsi (Czernowitz) Museum of Arts (former Bukowiner Sparkasse); Черновицкий художественный музей (быв. Буковинская сберегательная касса); Чернівецький художній музей (кол. Буковинська ощадна каса)
The left eagle


Chernivtsi (Czernowitz) Museum of Arts (former Bukowiner Sparkasse); Черновицкий художественный музей (быв. Буковинская сберегательная касса); Чернівецький художній музей (кол. Буковинська ощадна каса)
The right eagle


Chernivtsi (Czernowitz) Museum of Arts (former Bukowiner Sparkasse); Черновицкий художественный музей (быв. Буковинская сберегательная касса); Чернівецький художній музей (кол. Буковинська ощадна каса)
A bookstore and the central Tourist Information Office in the building


Chernivtsi (Czernowitz) Museum of Arts (former Bukowiner Sparkasse); Черновицкий художественный музей (быв. Буковинская сберегательная касса); Чернівецький художній музей (кол. Буковинська ощадна каса)
The text says: "Chernivtsi located on half-way between Kyiv and Bucharest, Krakow and Odessa was a secret capital of Europe where pavements were cleaned with bunches of roses and the number of bookstores exceeded the number of bakeries".


Chernivtsi (Czernowitz) Museum of Arts (former Bukowiner Sparkasse); Черновицкий художественный музей (быв. Буковинская сберегательная касса); Чернівецький художній музей (кол. Буковинська ощадна каса)
Tourist info plaque