Soborna (Eng. "Cathedral”, formerly Austrian and Soviet in different times) square was named so due to the Holy Spirit Cathedral located in its lower part where the square joins Holovna st.
Opposite to the Cathedral there is a city garden which is the beginning of the square being the largest in the whole city. Sometimes it was an empty place where two-week crowded fairs with music and various entertainment were arranged every year. Folk actors and musicians gave their performances on temporary wooden stages under the open sky.
A monument symbolizing Austria was erected in the square to the 100th anniversary of Austrian rule over the land. Its height was more than 8 meters, the core figure was made of white marble with golden ornaments. From then on the square was named Austrian, that official name, as well as the monument, was in existence to 1918 when the territory was taken over by Rumania. During Soviet times the Victory monument (Monument to Liberators) was fixed here (1946).
The blue four-storey structure next to the Monument is the house of former Bukowiner Landtag (House of Local Government). Its design was developed by architect v.Glaubitz jointly with Josef Hlavka. The building was accomplished in austere classic forms in 1869-1873. Now it's Building No.14 of Chernivtsi National University.
And tiny Omelyan Popovych street behind the Landtag leads us to Jesuit Jesus Heart Cathedral built in 1891-1894. Its high spire enchanting with its majesty can be seen from any Chernivtsi suburb.
GALLERY (click photos to enlarge)
The Holy Spirit cathedral from the garden in Soborna sq.
The Monument to Liberators; the garden facing the cathedral is behind
Build. No.14 of Chernivtsi National University (former House of Local Government)
The central ornamental ensemble
Soborniy department store
Christmas market 2010
Central Christmas tree of Bukovyna (2010)
Chernivtsi is 601 now